1. Hike to a WaterfallA perennial favorite and fantasy of many visitors to our island is hiking through a tropical forest to a cascading waterfall. Most of these hikes (ranging from easy to challenging) are found in the North Kohala and Hamakua Coast districts.
Hike to one of many tropical waterfalls and take a cool dip in the pond below; Photo by Ian Lindsey Photography
2. Kona Coffee ToursHawaii Island’s Kona coffee is internationally acclaimed. Primarily small farms dot the South and North Kona Coast at ideal elevations starting at about 800 feet. Among the many open for tours and tastings is Blue Sky Coffee in charming Holualoa Town.
Bright red coffee cherry ready to be picked
3. Swimming with DolphinsSpinner dolphins are spotted year round in the waters surrounding Hawai‘i Island. Two of the favorite places to get in the water and swim with them in West Hawaii are Kailua-Kona and Kealakekua Bays. Keep your distance and let them approach you. Do not touch or harass them by attempting to grab their dorsal fins and hang on for a ride.
Spinner dolphins are some of the most beloved mammals frequenting the waters just off the shores of Hawai‘i Island
4. Starry Nights at Mauna KeaViewing the sunset from atop Mauna Kea at about 13,000 feet is a life changing memory to cherish forever. Stick around for the after dark show – stars and planets galore!
Starry nights at the top of Mauna Kea; Photo by Ian Lindsey Photography
5. Relax at a Beautiful Oceanfront Vacation HomeFollowing adventurous days touring, there’s nothing better than returning to your own piece of paradise to unwind and relax. Here’s our showcase home of the month, a rare oceanfront estate now on the market.
Honuala‘i Estate (MLS# 601393) | $23 million | 6BR, 7.5BA | 7,744 sf | 1.16 acres
Honuala’i Estate boasts about 450 feet of prime ocean frontage on the world-acclaimed Kohala Coast (aka Gold Coast for the many luxury resorts and homes located here, along with spectacular white sand beaches, luxe shopping, and fine dining).
Relax on the pool deck or anywhere along the estate’s 450 feet of prime oceanfront
Fine details add to the home’s sophisticated, timeless beauty, epitomizing classic Hawaiian style and indoor/outdoor living. Some 11,000 square feet of covered lanais and 7,744 sqft of indoor living space make this the perfect estate for entertaining friends and guests. For overnight guests, the property includes six bedrooms and seven full and one half baths.
The estate features 11,000 square feet of covered lanais
This home is one of the only resort-zoned properties in the area and is the perfect spot for hosting special events when you are in-house or away. Arrive through grand double gates that open to exquisite manicured landscaping and a circular porte cochere. Additional highlights include water features, vaulted ceilings, and a Zen garden.